7.28.2010

Dyed Yarn and Beads!

So far I've dyed two of the skeins I got a few days ago! Both are dip-dyed with food colouring, and steam-set in the microwave. I'm really happy with how they turned out!

Handdyed - Berry Blast!
This one reminds me of this gum.

Handdyed - Spring Twist

The first one I re-skeined after dying it on a slightly smaller niddy-noddy, which is why the different colours are all mixed up together; the second one I just twisted into a hank. Which do you think looks better? I'm not sure which I prefer.


I got inspired by this person's photos to play with polymer clay again! I made some beads and mushroom pendants. I forgot they were in the oven, so they got a liiiiiittle overcooked. Heh, oh well.

Polymer Clay beads - Topsy Turvy Polymer Clay beads - Iris Spiral Polymer Clay beads - Sunrise Polymer Clay beads - Sunset

I threaded them into sets and attached them to little cards because I'm going to take them to Rare Funk. I've got an assignment account there, but I haven't really used it, only taken some hats there aaaages ago. I have some armwarmers I knitted that I might take there - I made up the pattern so it's legal for me to sell them. Ftw!

I'm kind of annoyed at Canada Post, I wasn't home when they delivered a package, so I have to pick it up, which is fine, but it is not at the post office that is LITERALLY around the corner from me, or at the one which is a 5 minute walk away, or the one that's a 10 minute walk away. It's actually not that far away, but there are THREE post offices that are closer than the one I have to go to! Bah.

Also, for some reason I got 407 views on my flickr two days ago - waaay more than usual. No idea what's up with that.

11 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE those yarns!!

    I know the frustration with Canada Post - between the cost and the service at times, it is annoying! We have a small mailbox in a collection at the end of the street and my fiance ordered a 7" vinyl record, which the mailman bent in half to fit it in the mailbox :( Canada Post said because it didn't say "do not bend" on the package they weren't at fault! BLAH!

    Anyway...I'm really enjoying your blog so far - I got your name in the swap-bot Blog swap! Hooray! :)

    Lauren
    (loolie on swapbot)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I have always wanted to have a go at dying my own yarn. You and I seem very similar in the fact that I love bright and bold colours too, so I'm having quite a drool over your photos.

    By the way this is Anne aka missanne from the 'I'm a Blogger, follow me' swap on swap-bot. Great to be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m not a yarn girl, I don't know how to knit or crachet or do any of that fabby stuff, but I LOVE that yarn. I'm a sucker for rainbow things, and I think I would have to buy the sorbet colored one if I knew of any way at all to use it. So Pretty!!
    Cheryl / Sezouli (swapbot blog swap)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your yarn bomb in uptown :) I'm making a blog post about all the yarn bombs I've found in uptown, so I'll be mentioning the one that I found with your website (so maybe expect a little bit of traffic soon) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaay, that is awesome! I just got labels recently, glad to see they're working :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hand-dyed yarns are fantastic!

    JessterRoux @ Swap-Bot, Blog Me swap

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS yarns!!! I just want to roll around in their pretty, juicy goodness!!

    Dani aka Doodlebabe
    Blog Me Baby swap

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the yarn looks so beautiful! I tried dying yarn with food coloring before and it did not turn out well! I love how yours came out (:

    Birdylove
    (Swap-bot: Blog Me Baby)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely yarn...so beautiful...I wish I know what to do with yarns...Maybe I'll get there someday...lol TFS! :D

    Stacy (luvystacy from Swap-Bot) Blog Me, Baby Swap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the yarns! So pretty! This is homekeepingheather from swap-bot, just stopping by from the Blog Me Baby swap

    ReplyDelete
  11. That yarn looks beautiful. I don't know which I prefer.

    -MsRigby (via SB for Blog Me, Baby)

    ReplyDelete